Thursday, March 22, 2007

Censorship

The Pains of
Censorship

It has been a while since my last blog post, but not without good reason. The primary reason of course is that I have been to busy tackling the intricate complexities of the worlds most populous country. But, an additional factor is the silent censorship of the internet in China. It makes me greatly appreciate the freedom of information elsewhere in the world [LEFT: A police golf cart in China].

Censored websites do not pop up with any government propaganda message or anything along those lines. They just silently don't work. Thus far I have discover two sites specifically that are clearly blocked in China. The first is Wikipedia, my wonderful source of fast information on the internet. It is an online encyclopedia full of all sorts of enlightening information, but it is also authored by the general public so it is not uncommon for articles to take on a slanted or politicized view. Thus, it is not surprising in a country explicitly concerned with controlling the political view that the site would be blocked [BOTTOM: Soldiers outside The Gate of Heavenly Peace next to Tiananmen Square].

The other less intuitive site which appears to be blocked is blog sites. Now the background pages and Blogger itself is not blocked. Thus I can author this post still. But, the actual final product of the blog is blocked. At first I thought it was only my blog having technical difficulties. But, I have since tried all other blogs I know of and found each and every one of them to be blocked. This makes publishing blogs for me more difficult because I can not see my own final product, and can not fix any unexpected errors in the layout code which typically crop up.

I will still try to get an unproofed post up soon to update everyone on my latest travels. For now though, I want to take a second to thank everyone for their wonderful comments on my blog. They help to keep me inspired about traveling and it is also good to know that my blog is being enjoyed. Best wishes to all of you in your own adventures.

As always,
-Russ

3 comments:

Kala said...

That's such a bummer that you can't look at any of yuor posts. But no worries they always look great and are fun to read.

Hope your having an amazing time on your own.

Love you, Kala

Anonymous said...

Great pictures from the great wall - better than National Geographic and handsome models. Love the Helper Monkey

Anonymous said...

Loved seeing the slideshow of Tibet! Nice to see someone else's pics besides my own. I seriously can not believe you were able to fit through the sin detecting / karmic debt sheddig rock tunnel.
I had my doubts!
Enjoy your travels- and I look forward to logging on and seeing what you are up to.
And hopefully seeing you and meeting Kala when you are back. Vancouver is so close!

Wishing you continued safe and fabulous travels, Dani