Monday, August 28, 2006

Welcome

Welcome to
Russell Keck's
WORLD TOUR

blog page.

First a little background information about me. I am currently 23 years old, living in Seattle, and working for Boeing. However, in just over 2 months I will be dropping work and leaving Seattle to go on an 11 month leave of absence. Why you ask? Simply put, to complete one of my lofty life goals and travel Around The World!

I have been working for Boeing and living in Seattle for a little over a year now, and have greatly enjoyed it for the most part. However, I am still young and crave more adventure than a standard 40 hour a week job with 2 weeks of vacation allows for. I tried to quench my desire for adventure with rock climbing [TOP: Me in Joshua Tree, March 2006] and mountaineering. While they do provide lots of temporary fulfillment, eventually I get restless again. Thus, when an opportunity arose to travel the world with one of my best friends from growing up, I jumped on it.

It just all made sense and fell together beautifully. Having been out of school for over a year, I had enough time to earn enough money to finance the trip. Add to that the fact that while I have a good job, my career is just getting started; so I don't mind putting it on hold for a while. Then couple those with the fact that I don't (or didn’t) have any major limitations in the form of a wife, a house, kids, or anything along those lines. That all adds up to this being the perfect time to pursue one of my lofty dreams. However, I have since developed a serious relationship with an amazing girl, which slightly complicates things.

Her name is Kala Zimmermann, and she rocks. She is beautiful, caring, flexible, and outdoorsy. She is even getting into rock climbing [RIGHT: Kala climbing on the Index Town Wall, August 2006], how sweet is that.

I first met Kala in AYSO soccer during high school. We were friends for a number of years, and eventually ended up dating casually for the summer after my freshman year of college. However, once I went back to school things cooled off, we broke up, and lost touch with each other. Then, just this past Christmas (after 3 years without any contact) through a series of random chance events we ended up deciding to casually catch up. Things developed from there, and then with a New Years Eve kiss the flame was rekindled.

In total now we have been dating for almost 8 months already. At first it was a tentative long distance relationship, but about 4 months ago she moved out to Seattle with me and things have been going strong since then. Overall it has been an excellent relationship. We get along great, we have had some amazing fun times, and we have successfully navigated the few minor rough spots along the way. Above all though, we simply make each other happy, which is really what it is all about. The only downside is that she makes leaving for 11 months a lot harder. I am going to miss her dearly. However on the up side, she is tentatively planning to meet up with me somewhere on my journey (likely Thailand or Europe) which will be awesome.

My traveling companion for this epic trip will be one of my best friend from growing up, Mike Garre. He just recently graduated from Montana State University with a Pre Physical Therapy degree and has been working like a dog ever since to earn money for the trip. Like me, he is an avid outdoors enthusiast and adventure seeker [LEFT: Mike and I atop Liberty Bell, August 2004; photo by Unknown]. He was also the one to plant the seed of the grand idea to travel Around The World (thanks for the great idea Mike). However, once planted in me it took hold fast and has perpetuated itself ever since.

Well now the trip is fast approaching, just over 2 months left before we take off. I can hardly believe how fast the past 4 months have gone. It seems like just last week we were crossing the 6 months to go line and Kala was just moving out to Seattle. I know that November 2nd, our leave date, is going to get here in a hurry. It is crazy, exciting, and nerve racking all at the same time; and I love the feeling. It probably has something to do with being a slight adrenaline junky, but I can't wait right now to jump into the unknown.

Anyways, so there is a little background about myself and where I am coming from in life as I approach the start of this grand World Tour. There certainly is much more to come, so check back often and feel free to post comments.

As always,
-Russ

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

GO RUSS!!!

Unknown said...

Hey Russ (and Mike),

I hope that your journey through Fiji has been incredible. Let all of us know how you're doing soon...we are eagerly awaiting the update. Stay safe, have fun, and good luck!!

Unknown said...

P.S. I think you should take off the comment moderation...let us post freely!!

Russ said...

Tom and everyone,

Comment moderation is only on because I have gotten some SPAM comments. So, feel free to post freely. I won't censor anyone (unless it would offend my grandma... then I might) ;)

Peace,
-Russ

Anonymous said...

Hi Russ,

What a great site!! I read every bit of it - you seem to be having as great a time as you expected - or even greater.

Will be looking in frequently.

Love,
Gramma

Unknown said...

Sup dawg!!! This is Dao. Just wanted to drop in and say hello. Sounds like and looks like you are having lots of fun on your adventure. It will be a great story to tell the kids once that time comes. Party hard, be safe, and holla at you boy! Peace!