Sunday, November 12, 2006

Fiji

Bula Bula
FIJI

Fiji is a quintessential tropical paradise. Beautiful and peaceful like the serene tropical postcards, but also rich with culture. The laid back and simple way of life here makes it the perfect relaxing start to our journey. It helps to wash away the stresses of our hectic American lifestyle so that we can transition into a more adaptive and contemplative travel mode. As the locals say, it is Fiji Time.

Our time in Fiji has been wonderfully simple and refreshing. The locals here are exceedingly nice and friendly. Our first day here we met Tom, a charismatic and talkative Fijian, who has generously helped guide our experience here in Fiji to ensure we had a good time. He took us to watch him play music at a resort for free, took us to meet his drummer and friend Mess [TOP: Mess, myself, and Tom; photo by Mike], and he directed us to the best small tropical island with backpacker accommodations (Mana). He also took us on a tour of the main island of Fiji to see his home town and some of the more rural areas. The whole time he helped keep us from being ripped off by the gouging of tourist prices. Not to mention that he gave Mike and me both free sharks tooth necklaces which he made. For Fijians the top priority is not money like Americans; relaxation, friends, and family are paramount.

In addition to interacting with the locals Mike and I have spent a lot of our time in the water; either snorkeling in the crystal clear green water, kayaking around the beautiful tropical islands [RIGHT: Mike and I kayaking around Mana Island], or in general just having fun in the ocean. The snorkeling here in Fiji is amazing. The sheer quantity of reefs around and between the islands keeps the waters protected and calm, which makes them amazingly clear. This coupled with a diverse population of colorful tropical fish makes for some breathtaking snorkeling. Or maybe the breathtaking part was just user malfunction with my new snorkel gear. Either way it was great fun, and with my underwater camera case I was able to get some wonderful pictures [BELOW: Mike and Elizabeth snorkeling; a tropical fish; a school of fish].

When we have not been in the water we are almost always near the water; either reading and journaling in the shade, swinging from the palm trees over the beach, or just relaxing in a hammock overlooking the beach. The backpacker resorts here in Fiji are all set up to cater to the lazy beach side lifestyle, and Mike and I have taken full advantage of it [BELOW: A couple enjoying the beach in Fiji].

Overall, our time in Fiji has been excellent and I would recommend it as a great tropical getaway for anyone feeling overly stress out with their busy American lifestyle.

As always,
-Russ

[Pictures from FIJI]

11 comments:

Hali said...

Glad to hear you guys are doing well in your time away from money grubbing, ladder climbing Americans. ;-)

Stay well!

OH! Great pictures too!!

Anonymous said...

Awesome. Everybody's jealous, as you might suspect.

-Dan

ps. why is Mike wearing a bikini?

Anonymous said...

That's a way cool fish picture.
-Dan

Anonymous said...

Those pictures are beautiful. Much rather be there with you guys then painting houses right now...

Catch ya later
Casey

PS it was good seeing you at the Halloween bash.

Pearl Harris said...

hey russ- good to know someone out there is having a good time at the beach. the pictures are awesome! cheers!
pearl

Russ said...

Hey all,

Thanks for all the great comments. FYI - I added a link to about 40 more pictures from Fiji at the end of the Fiji blog post, so feel free to check them out.

Peace,
-Russ

Anonymous said...

Hey man! It looks like you are having a great time. I can't help but think of the swing on your house in Seattle when I see the giant swing over the ocean...just without the palm trees...or the bruised ribs :) Miss you and guys and look forward to seeing more! Best

Matt said...

I'm so jealous, dude! Too bad the weather in NZ has been less than optimal. I can't wait to see some familiar pics from the south island! Have you been in touch with Jeremy??

Anonymous said...

Russ, this is so damn cool! I love that we all get to watch your trip around the world. This is why you're a badass! :) I love the pics from Fiji- they are AMAZING. Enjoy your next destination!

~Laura

Laura said...

Russ, the pics and journal from Fiji are awesome! It's so cool that you are letting us see your journey. But that's just part of the reason you are a complete badass! ;) Have fun!!! I can't wait to read about the next stop on your tour! ~Laura

Unknown said...

Hey Russ,

Neat pics! I finally got a chance to see them with Connie, Greg, Collin and Mom. Whoever was referring to you as a bad ass has obviously not met the Mean Monkey. Hope all is well. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Cheers,
Dad